Karmiel

Karmiel
Our view of the Galile

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Wisdumb Lessons- Ki Tavo 5777/ 2017

Insights and Inspiration
from the
Holy Land
from
Rabbi Ephraim Schwartz
"Your friend in Karmiel"

September 8th 2017 -Volume 7 Issue 44 17th of Elul 5777
Parshat Ki Tavo
Wisdumb Lessons

I don’t like dentists. I don’t like mechanics either. I have the same problem with both of them. See I know nothing about the inside of a car hood. I don’t know what makes it run. I can barely even figure out how the stereo works in most of these new cars today. But I know that every so often my car has to go to the mechanic for a “check-up” . They change the oil, the filters and fill up some fluids.They check out the brakes and change some pads. It should be simple. In the States they would do this for like 10-15 bucks if I remember correctly at Jiffy Lube or something. Yet inevitably what happens is that they come back to you with this “Aha we got one” kind of look and tell you “Oh you have to change your catylictic carbulator” or “your left axle wing nut seems to be dripping some fluids, when was the last time you had that checked or replaced?” Now of course I have no idea what these things or if there are even such parts in a car. That’s the way they test you to see how much they can take advantage of you. When you tell them that you don’t know, that is their cue to tell you that it’s supposed be changed every 100 thousand miles and whadaya know I’m at 101,000, so its time. They’re very patronizing of course, as they say listen you don’t have to do it here now, but they can’t guarantee that my car will live another day or two without it and they’ll give me a discount to do it now. So of course I have no choice and I get the work done on some mysterious part and just rack it up to my never having taken auto mechanics in school.
Same thing with the Dentist. See, I avoid them. I avoid all doctors. My feeling is if it ain’t broke why fix it? My wife on the other hand feels that it is very important for me to go for “checkups”. I don’t have a high enough life-insurance policy it seems and I guess she feels it might be worthwhile to keep me around for a bit until I pay off some of our debts and who know maybe even put away some savings. Checkups are essential in her mind to keeping me around. So I go in. They weigh me and nod tskk tskk tsskk… Israeli doctors are particularly good at doing that. They take my blood pressure and make some more funny noises and then they tell me that I really should lose weight, exercise more, have less shwarmas and in general to become a different person. They of course tell me, that I don’t have to do this if I don’t want to. But if I love my family he can’t guarantee I’ll be around if I don’t. Unfortunately I can’t just pay him some money to just fix the problem, So I leave with some guilt and thoughts of gastrointestinal and cardiovascular “teshuva” that lasts for about 5 minutes and just tell my wife that the doctor said everything will be fine.

Dentists though have a special place in my heart and mouth though. See there my wife tells me I have to go for checkup and cleaning. Once again- my teeth are fine, they look clean to me and after all who’s really looking at them anyways. It’s what comes out of my mouth that people are paying attention to right? She however uses my weak point and tells me that it’s free. See we have the platinum Kupat Cholim-that’s our socialized medicine clinic- plan which offers a free annual checkup. And if it’s free then I have to do it. Now this platinum Kupat Cholim thing is also a scam. They tell you it’s free, but ultimately they find all the things that are not covered under the plan and whadaya know that’s what needs to be fixed, but don’t worry because we have platinum we will get a discount, which interestingly enough is still more expensive than if I just go to a private dentist to take care of it….See why I really hate dentists.
So anyways two weeks ago my wife convinces me to go for my cleaning and as could be predicted they told me that I needed a root canal on top of the one I have already. Which really was doing fine and not troubling me at all. They also said that one of my wisdom teeth needed to be extracted. Again I pride myself on my wisdom, and I wasn’t ready to give it up yet. We’ve been together for quite a few decades now. And almost like Samson, maybe the secret to my brilliance is in that tooth. So I came home told my wife that everything was fine and since it wasn’t bothering me at all anyways, I figured it was just another one of those dentist scam things. Dentists in Israel don’t make as much as they do in America and they gotta get it from where they can. But this American Oleh wasn’t going to fall for it.
The problem was I didn’t realize to what extent they would go to. See a few days later, Friday night I was sitting down at my Shabbos table. As I bit into the delicious healthy spelt challah my wife makes. Healthy of course to insure I will be around for a while. Sure enough I feel my filling come out. Just like that. Boom. Pop. I’m looking at my wisdom tooth filling that was perfectly fine before these dentists broke it to make sure I would come back. It’s the only explanation. It was fine until I went in for that cleaning. Yeah…they were determined to clean me out, that’s for sure. So with no choice I went back. I paid my dues. They yanked my wisdom tooth. Gleefully I might say. I’m in pain. If this E-mail is dumber than usual, now you know why. Did I mention I don’t like dentists...?
One of the interesting thing I noticed and was thinking about as they were pulling my tooth is that they kept referring to it as the shein bina. That’s the word in Hebrew for wisdom tooth. For some reason this bothered me. See, the word for wisdom in Hebrew is chochma. A scholar- something I was before they stole my tooth – is a talmid chacham. The word bina- though means understanding. A shein bina is an understanding tooth. Ani lo meivin- means I don’t understand. And a maven in Hebrew, Yiddish and even English is someone who understands things or is an expert on thing. There’s a difference between the two. In fact in Torah etymology each word has its own particular nuances and chochma and bina are two very different things.
There is another word as well for this intellectual information that word is da’as which can be translated as knowledge. These three terms can be found in the first of our personal prayers that we recite in our daily amida prayer.
“You grant man knowledge and teach mankind wisdom, Grace us from You wisdom, understanding and knowledge. Blessed are You Hashem the grantor of knowledge.”
Incidentally if you didn’t put it together these three things are in fact the acronym which Chabad stands for CH’ohchma, Bina Daas. So where better then to Chabad to understand what they are all about. Chochma in the great works of the Baal Hatanya, he explains is is a spark, it is the first flash of an idea. For example, sometimes one is struggling over a problem and they get a flash of inspiration, a "Eureka" if you will. The Gaon of Vilna explains it as the Divine wisdom that comes directly from Hashem. In fact the letters of chochma also spell when rearranged the words koach ma- the potentiality of what is. It is the building blocks of what comes only from above.
Bina on the other hand is the next step. It comes from the word boneh to build. It is taking that wisdom, that information that one has received and contemplating and understanding the way he personally relates to it. It is therefore constantly changing as generations come and go. The two chochma and bina are referred to in the Zohar as the two friends that never part from one another. The Talmud tells us that women were granted an extra sense of bina over men. chochma –wisdom that initial spark is the man’s part. It’s that momentary flash that he brings to the table. The woman takes that idea and develops it, nurtures it.  When it comes to creating life, she does so for 9 months. Men can’t be pregnant. Bina is not our thing. We’re programmed to bring the quick solution and to move on to the next project or idea. Maybe that’s why in Israel it’s called the Bina tooth. Here in Israel, where the Talmud tells us that the air one breathes is full of wisdom, as soon as it gets in our mouths we begin the process of bina understanding it and taking it apart and constructing it and making it better. In America they’re still a step behind and they are just plain old dumb American airspace and it only becomes wisdom once they start biting into it or sinking their teeth in it. I know your groaning now but I warned you this E-Mail was gonna be dumber than usual…L.
Finally knowledge is the incorporation or internalization of that wisdom and knowledge and truly becoming one with it. The biblical term as we all know for intimacy is man “knowing” his wife. That is the prayer we say each morning Hashem is the one that gives us the ability to achieve knowledge. We do this through chochma we receive and bina process of extrapolating and nurturing it and ultimately we transform it all and internalize into knowledge. This is truly the function of the entire world the prophet Isaiah describes the Messianic era as when the whole world will full of knowledge like a water covering the sea. That’s what we are here in this world to try to achieve.
This week’s Torah portion interestingly enough is really describes this process of chochma and bina and daas perfectly throughout the entire portion. The parsha begins with Hashem telling us that we will come to the land. The place where we are meant to shine out that light and knowledge from. We will harvest we will plant. Just like everyone else does wherever else they go. Our crops grow we have that wisdom. That inspiration. But then something changes. We take our first fruits and bring them to the temple. To the Kohen. Before Hashem. We make a public declaration. We preform Bina. We recount our history and announce that Hashem is the source of all of our blessing. Now and forever. We then internalize the Torah tells us by recognizing that this covenant that we share this bond this information places upon us the ultimate obligations to fulfill the commandments. He commands us- gives us the knowledge. We follow His ways. We become to him His treasured nation making us above all nations to be dedicated to Him with praise and splendor. Like a bride and a groom, a chasan and Kalla bound together with that loving intimate knowledge.
This idea continues in the next command as well where Moshe commands the Jewish people together with the elders and the Kohanim and Levis that when they come to Israel the first act they do is going to be to go to these two mountains and enter into the covenant, the marriage with all the blessings and responsibilities and the pitfall and curses if we do not fulfill our mandate. The Elders are there because they ae the source of the chochma, the Kohanim represent the Bina the development of that knowledge, the Levi’im are the ones that will sing and teach and facilitate the internalization of it all.  We are one. We answer Amen.  The world will come to its fulfillment.
The portion concludes with Moshe reassuring and asserting the essence of it all
Devarim ( 29:1) You have seen all that Hashem has done before your wise in the land of Egypt… the great signs and miracles which your eyes have seen..
And Hashem has not given you a heart to ‘know’ and eyes to see and ears to hear until this very day…
And you have come to this land and Sichon the king of Cheshbon and Og the King of Bashan came out to us and we smote them. And we have taken their land and it was given to us as an inheritance to Reuvein, Gad and half the tribe of Menashe.
And you shall guard this covenant and you shall preform it in order that you will taskilu- be successful in all that you do.
I translated the word taskilu above as succesful as Rashi and the Unkelus do. However the the word in fact comes from the same root as sechel- intelligence and in fact the Seforno concludes this portion explaining
“In order that you will achieve to direct all of your actions for the eternal life and for the present life”
Life, wisdom, understanding, meaning all of those things that we seek to achieve in holiness can only be acquired if we open our eyes, we focus our hearts and we internalize this most amazing of ideas. Now that’s something to sink your teeth into. Ouch!

Have a simchadike Shabbos,
Rabbi Ephraim Schwartz

*******************************************

RABBI SCHWARTZ’S FAVORITE YIDDISH PROVERB OF THE WEEK

“Az es kumt tsonvaitik fargest men kopvaitik.”. When a toothache comes, you forget your headache.

RABBI SCHWARTZ COOL VIDEOS OF THE WEEK

https://youtu.be/w9FB8R1mdjw   Bill Cosby on Dentists… Classic and still funny after all these years..

https://youtu.be/ZJxFHSE1Rv4    – Life of meaning New song Naftali Bluimenthal pretty catchy

https://youtu.be/6-6UkU8nWZw  Aseh LMaan Shemecha Yitzchak Fuchs

https://youtu.be/CR-eLYCSw54  - Ich Kum Shonyn Aheim- Yiddish song Motty Illowitz



RABBI SCHWARTZ'S TOUR GUIDE EXAM QUESTION OF THE WEEK
answer below at end of Email

Q.   A site where “Free Masons” have been known to convene (gather):
a. The Hulda stairs
b. The Nicanor cave
c. Zedekiah’s cave
d. The Tombs of the Kings

RABBI SCHWARTZ'S ILLUMINATING RASHI OF THE WEEK

Ki Tavo- There are some verses and chapters in the Torah that are difficult to read. Not because the words are hard or the translation but rather because when the Torah talks tough it gets scary. Particularly this is true when it comes to the exhortations and “curses” that Moshe tells us if we do not follow the words of the Torah. After thousands of years in exile we have seen these prophecies fulfilled tragically enough to us from the destructions of the Temples to modern times. Yet the Rashis on these verses can be particularly upbeat. Even on the most frightening of predictions Rashi seems to find an upside to it. He sees in the gloom and doom the rays of light and hope.
One of those predictions that seems particularly harsh
Devarim (28:63) Vhaya Ka’asher Sas- And it will be as Hashem rejoiced-to do good to you and to multiply you, Kein Yasis- so too Hashem will rejoice- on you to make you perish and destroy you.
Wow! It’s one thing to say that Hashem must destroy us, but that he will be happy that we will be destroyed! As happy as when he does good for us? How can that be? The Shomer Emunim notes that Hashem is not even happy when His enemies- like the Egyptians were drowning in the Red Sea and he prohibited the angels from singing His praise. So Rashi kicks in by pointing out that the word that Hashem will rejoice- Yasis actually means He will make rejoice- this is different than Onkelos’s translation incidentally- And Rashi therefore understands the verse as saying
He will make your enemies rejoice over you to make you perish.
In fact in older prints of Rashi mentioned in the mikraot Gedolot addition it adds
That Hashem Himself does not rejoice. We learn from here that Hashem does not rejoice upon the downfall of the wicked, as it does not say yasus- He will rejoice, rather yasis that he will make others rejoice. However in the goodness to the righteous Hashem Himself rejoices as it says sas-   as Hashem rejoices.
The Shomer Emunim himself explains the verse according to Unkelos intepertation in that Hashem rejoices when He destroys us as much as when He does good for us because He understands that the pains and tribulations and suffering that we undergo are only there to remove any evil and to purify and allow us to rise to even greater heights thus insuring our eternality.
Perhaps that can help explain Rashi as well, as the suffering that we have that the nations of the world are rejoicing over our downfall is part of the process of us redeeming ourselves and atoning for our sins.
Regardless, once again Rashi takes a verse that is too troubling to read and turns into into a tool to appreciate how close Hashem is to us even in our most challenging times.

Rabbi Aharon Roth- the Shomer Eminim (1894-1947) – Amongst the Todos Aharon and Toldos Avrahm Yitzchak Yerushalmi Jews he is known as the “Alter Rebbe” as he was the founder of the current chasidut. He was born in Hungary and studied by the great Rebbes of Bluzhov, Vishnitz and ultimately Satmar. He was known for his devotion and dedication to living at the highest spiritual lifestyle. In 1925 he moved to Palestine to Jerusalem and founded in Meah Shearim his yeshiva. He wrote his seminal work called Shome Emunim on the importance of reciting Amen. He moved back to Europe in 1929 leaving his chasidim behind. In 1940 he returned to Israel and he died in 1947 while in middle of grinding his flour for Matzos for Pesach.
.
RABBI SCHWARTZ'S TYPES OF JEWS IN ISRAEL OF THE WEEK
Yordim –I know this column is for Jews in Israel and by definition yordim- the term used for Jews that have emigrated from Israel to the diaspora aren’t in Israel, but lo and behold it seems that you can run but can’t get away as many of these Jews are here whether for visits or to get some good shwarma and chumus that of course you can’t get anywhere else. According to estimates there are close to a million Israelis and their families living outside of Israel, most in North America. There is a long history of Jews leaving Israel voluntarily. The first two Aliyot in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s saw from 50-80% return to their places of origin unable to make it here. After the establishment of the State it certainly dropped and the Aliya rate has always been significantly more than the yerida rate. The primary reasons why Jews leave the land their ancestors have dreamt of living in interestingly enough is not because of security or even political reasons. Rather the main reasons have been for the quality of life, employment opportunities or because of a spouse that they met from another question. Maimonides, who himself was not able to live in Israel as he was the doctor for Salaadin in Egypt and wasn’t allowed to leave, writes that the only time it is permitted to leave Israel is to find a wife, or make a living or to study Torah and even then he says one should return to Israel as soon as he accomplishes that goal. It is interesting, as an Oleh to Israel to talk to many of these yordim and they speak about Israel with a tremendous amount of fondness. Many of them long for Israel, perhaps even more so than their Diaspora counterparts. This is despite them finding much success and even developing mini- “Israeli communities” in the cities they live. The main cities where these Israeli can be found are in New York, Los Angeles and Miami. Although there’s not too many shopping malls that yo can got to where you won’t find some Israelis selling Dead Sea products or some other chatchkes. Although those sales people Israelis certainly plan on returning and are usually just taking a hiatus after the army service and to make a few bucks.
 Whereas once in Israel yordim were looked upon with scorn today that sentiment has changed and many people appreciate that many of these yordim are our biggest advocates in the Diaspora. Even more interesting, I can share with you from personal experience, is that many of these yordim that are secular and while they were in Israel had no interest in anything Torah or Jewish oriented, yet when they find themselves in America, without the luxury of their Jewish Identity being defined by living in Israel, for the first time begin to incorporate more and more observance and tradition into their lives. As I said a Jew can run but never to far…
RABBI SCHWARTZ'S JEWISH JOKES OF THE WEEK

Q: What does the dentist of the year get? A: A little plaque
 Q: What did the dentist say to the computer? A: This won't hurt a byte
Q: What did the dentist see at the North Pole? A: A molar bear Q:
What did the dentist say to the golfer? A: "You have a hole in one. "
Q: Why did the king go to the dentist? A: To get a new crown!
Q: Why did the deer need braces? A: He had buck teeth
 Q: At what time do most people go to the dentist? A: At tooth-hurty (2:30).
 Q: Did you hear about the Buddhist who refused a Novocain injection during root canal treatment? A: He wanted to transcend dental medication!

**************
Answer is C– Who would have thought that you could find Freemasons that ancient Masonic lodges had anything to do with Israel. But the truth is that this medieval workers fraternity has its bases in the building of Solomon’s Temple and his “Mason” Hiram and much of their secretive and mysterious rituals revolve around that.. It is there for most appropriate in fact that there should be an annual ceremony in the cave of Tzidkiya which was a quarry from the times of the kings of Israel although more likely than not it wasn’t used for Solomon’s Temple but rather from the 2nd Temple and Herod’s period. It got its name from the Midrash that described Zedekiya fleeing from the Babylonian assault during the destruction of the first Temple and the Midrash tells us that he had a cave that led to a tunnel that went all the way to Yericho and when he came out they found him and blinded him and took him back to Babylonian as a captive.

No comments:

Post a Comment